Okay watch out, here come feels.
This is my favorite Coulson moment out of the entire MCU. I would trade in all of his scenes in IM, IM2, Thor, and Avengers just for this little two seconds of footage. And no matter how hard I try, I can’t figure out what’s going on in his head.
There’s a resignation in his eyes that simultaneously breaks my heart, and makes it swell. That’s the face of a man that loves his job, is addicted to it, and knows that one day it will probably kill him. Things are escalating in the world…there are billionaires in weaponized suits. There are norse gods falling from the skies. There are brilliant scientists going balls-out Jekyll and Hyde all across America. The life expectancy for a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent has suddenly become very short. So you have to wonder what’s going through Phil Coulson’s head on a day like this, when he has a feeling there is something big waiting for him in New Mexico. Gone are the days of dealing with your every day human scum, and he looks back on the convenience store with a heavy heart.
Things are changing. Probably not for the better, And Phil Coulson knows that, however many days he has left, things are about are about to get very strange indeed.
This scene breaks my heart.
I think the resignation is partly because he can’t stay and help the clerk to calm down and clean up. He’s got to leave that to whoever she calls, and he thinks, for just a moment, that they won’t do the job right. And I think he’s having a moment to compare the mundane (an armed robbery) to the fantastical stuff he’s been seeing and wondering, maybe, if all this craziness with Norse gods and Tony freaking Stark will maybe, possibly, make a difference in the mundane and make the world a better place, but then he thinks about how there’s no super hero for his gas station, and so he’s slightly resigned again.
But always hopeful.
(What did you just do to my brain?)
- heybandwagon reblogged this from hellotailor
- atlas-air likes this
- exiled-duke-of-milan reblogged this from scifigrl47
- one777 likes this
- syndelar reblogged this from shieldandroid
- syndelar likes this
- dr-kara likes this
- vampirekilmer reblogged this from sirona-gs
- vampirekilmer likes this
- crystallized-cake likes this
- mangojellybean likes this
- bananatacos reblogged this from sweet-transsssssvestite
- bananatacos likes this
- sweet-transsssssvestite likes this
- sweet-transsssssvestite reblogged this from dukeofsuffolksbutt
- dukeofsuffolksbutt reblogged this from agentooq
- thecanadianconsultant reblogged this from shieldhusband85
- clementinebarish likes this
- sirfuzzysocks likes this
- retronoisette reblogged this from celestialcow
- kesterel likes this
- mrwinton likes this
- thedalekwhocould likes this
- anyamercury likes this
- brokentripod reblogged this from celestialcow
- brokentripod likes this
- celestialcow reblogged this from rikki-tikki-tavvi
- sarrasi reblogged this from zalia
- sawbones reblogged this from princekun
- princekun reblogged this from reinagrant
- reinagrant reblogged this from zalia
- zalia reblogged this from sirona-gs
- shieldhusband85 reblogged this from shield-supernanny
- magnussbabe reblogged this from hidone
- rainymoon likes this
- test-subject-1459 reblogged this from derpyloki
- derpyloki reblogged this from renhardt
- fangirl-squee reblogged this from hellotailor
- hiphopopotamus- likes this
- destronomics reblogged this from flatbear
- bobbiejo1 reblogged this from blueshoesandbluemountains
- blueshoesandbluemountains reblogged this from epaulettes
- imaginaryeli likes this
- kiki-miserychic reblogged this from exitbybears
- spnonly reblogged this from heidi8
- digitalmeowmix likes this
- aj-spikey reblogged this from isagrimorie
- epaulettes reblogged this from into-the-weeds